Your First Visit
As a potential or new client, you may have some questions about what to expect in counseling. The beginning steps may seem quite intimidating—sharing personal thoughts, feelings, and beliefs with a complete stranger would be enough to raise anxiety in anyone. Rest assured those of us at Genesis Counseling Service desire to walk with you through any struggles you may have.
What is the first step?
The first step is to call 909.890.2299. One of our staff will ask for a brief statement of your concerns, get contact information, set a fee, and set up a time for your initial intake appointment. During this first appointment we will gather vital information, discuss your desires regarding counseling, and answer any questions you may have.
Within two business days of your initial visit, we will contact you to set up your next appointment.
What is the initial session going to be like?
Please note that Genesis does not bill insurance.Fees for service will be collected at the time of your visit. ( If you have questions as to whether your insurance might reimburse some of your fees at Genesis, please discuss this our staff prior to your first visit ) When you arrive for your initial session, you will be asked to:
1. Fill out several brief forms.
2. Your intake counselor will go over with you our policies and procedures, as well as our confidentiality statement. If you have any concerns about the initial paper work, you may address them at this time.
3. Your intake counselor will gather some background information/personal history and then discuss with you the concerns that bring you to counseling. This is a time for you to ask questions and to express any concerns about the counseling process.
4. After your intake appointment, the Clinical Director will review your information and assign a counselor who best fits your needs.
5. This is also a time for you to ask questions and express concerns you may have about your counseling experience.
6. Our Clinical Director will review this helpful information and assign a counselor who fits your needs most appropriately.
What is a typical session like at Genesis Counseling Service?
Counseling sessions at Genesis Counseling Service typically last 45-50 minutes.During this time you and your counselor will discuss the concerns that bring you to counseling. Many of our clients are Christians and prefer meeting with a counselor who shares a common belief system. Others enjoy the benefit of meeting with a Christian counselor who is also a trained professional. Our goal is to create a safe environment for each of our clients while remaining committed to truly Christian principles in our counseling.
Often counseling involves looking at current behavior and thought patterns as well as possibly exploring past relationships or events. Many of our clients want to address spiritual concerns from a biblical perspective, which all of our counselors are eager to do.
What do I do as a client?
One important aspect of counseling is your level of participation. The common phrase “You get out what you put in” definitely applies here. At times, the counseling process may be challenging and may bring up issues and feelings that you would rather avoid. However, by addressing and dealing with these areas you are beginning to take steps toward growth and healing.
What else do I need to know?
All counselors at Genesis Counseling Service adhere to a strict code of ethics, including confidentiality. In order to provide a safe and open place for you to share your struggles, Genesis Counseling Service counselors will not share your personal information or anything discussed in session without your permission. (Certain limitations on confidentiality do apply—see your counselor for an elaboration of these areas.)
We here at Genesis Counseling Service are excited about the possibility of working with you. We want this to be a warm and inviting experience for you; as such, if you have any questions about our agency or counselors, don’t hesitate to ask. We would be glad to answer any questions you may have.
Learn more about our services and fees.
To schedule a visit or get more information, call 909.890.2299 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.